The Defender Helmet is designed for use by Police, Prisons and other Public Security Personnel when engaged in controlling the actions of persons involved in actual or potential public order disturbances.
The Home Office Scientific Development Branch’s Protective Headwear Standard for UK Police 2004 21/04 requires that helmets should meet specific performance levels for:
- Coverage (both Helmet and Visor)
- Peripheral Vision
- High and Low Velocity Impact
- Impacts to the Visor
- Burning Solvent Test
- Ingress of Liquids
- Helmet Retention
- Visor deformation under impact
- Pellet Impacts to the Visor (6mm ball)
- Visor misting
- Visor resistance to solvents
The Defender meets, or exceeds, all of these criteria and has been tested, accredited and certified to 21/04 by the HOSDB.
The Helmet is not designed to offer protection from ballistic attack.
The Helmet consists of an outer shell with hearing apertures and fittings, an inner liner with comfort padding, a hinged clear visor and adjustable chinstrap with cup.
The visor may be swung upwards over the outer shell and clear of the face. However, whenever possible it should be worn with the visor in place in front of the face with the chinstrap fastened and correctly adjusted (A rubber seal fitted between the visor bar and the outer shell to prevent liquid ingress to the face is only effective with the visor in the down position).
Manufacture is carried out in a BS EN 9001:2000 approved facility.
Technical Specifications MLA Defender Helmet
- Outer Shell - The GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) outer shell consists of a surface of Class 1 Fire Retardant Gelcoat to BS2782. Beneath this is a laminate of some 28 components made from 300gsm Chopped Strand Mat to ISO 3374:1990 and Glass Fibre 280gsm biaxial woven roving material. All are impregnated and bonded with Flame Retardant pre-accelerated Polyester Resin to BS476 Part 7. | Two sizes of outer shell are used to cover the range of head sizes.
- Inner Lining - Fitted within the outer shell is a sizing inner liner moulded from Polyurethane Foam to BS5775; BS4370 and AMS9048/2. | The inner liner is covered with Proban-Treated Cotton Modal Comfort Padding to BS5441 and BS4021. Additional helmet lining is produced from comfort padded Plastazote foam.
- Visor - The visor is manufactured from 3mm Polycarbonate to DIN53445; DIN53452; DIN53453; ISO180; DIN 53454; DIN 53455; DIN53457; DIN 53479 and DIN ISO 2039.1. | The visor is anti-mist lacquer coated and tested to be within SDC limits for thickness, adhesion, anti-fog and haze. | The visor is secured to an aluminium visor bar assembly, which incorporates a sturdy rubber gasket to form a seal between the top edge of the visor and the outer shell. The visor/visor bar assembly is then secured to the outer shell at two pivot points using lock nuts.
- Chin Strap - A chinstrap assembly (with chin cup) is fitted to the inside of the outer shell at two points. The two halves of the chinstrap assembly are joined and adjusted for fit by means of a side lock quick release buckle. | The anti-chafe facings to the strap assembly are made from Fire Retardant fabric-backed Vinyl.
- Optional Neck Guard - The Helmet is fitted with a one-piece neck guard constructed from Plastazote foam and covered with Fire Retardant fabric-backed Vinyl.
- Hearing Apertures - The helmet features an aluminium vent over each ear. Each vent contains two layers of gauze, which allow the passage of sound whilst preventing the ingress of liquids.
Features of MLA Defender Helmet
- Rugged impact-resistant fibre glass shell
- Certified to HOSDB 21/04 Standard
- Solid aluminium visor bar
- 7 years’ shelf life
- Flame-retardant inner lining
- Optional removable/washable inner lining
- Close-fitting visor
- Improved hearing attenuation
- Flame-retardant padded neckguard
- 3mm anti-mist anti-scratch visor
- Available in a range of colours
|Size||Product Code||Measurement (cm)|
For more info, please contact our Government Sales Team at email@example.com
|Brand||MLA Police Equipment|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Outdoor Tactical Australia users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.